(The video above gives an overview of power soccer. This is shown to help explain only. The video is not affiliated with The Whole Person.)
Power Soccer Workshop – April 14, 2018 | 9:00 - 11:00 am
Power Soccer is the first competitive team sport designed and developed specifically for power wheelchair users. Athletes' disabilities include quadriplegia, multiple sclerosis, muscular dystrophy, cerebral palsy, and many others. The game is played in a gymnasium on a regulation basketball court. Two teams of four players attack, defend, and spin-kick a 13-inch soccer ball in a skilled and challenging game similar to able-bodied soccer.
- Allows individuals with a variety of medical conditions to use power wheelchairs to participate in a fun, recreational game of soccer
- Uses the same rules as traditional soccer
- A maximum of three players per team on the court at a time
- Players have guards temporarily attached to their wheelchairs and use a larger ball
- Any age & any disability.
- Four-wheel power wheelchair — will supply wheelchairs if needed
- Power wheelchairs with center posts or swing-away leg rests are welcome. If your child has center post leg rests or does not normally use a power wheelchair, please contact NuMotion 800-500-9150.
- Participants must be able to independently maneuver a power wheelchair at varying rates of speed
- Participants must be able to follow one-three step directions independently.
- For safety reasons, no cords or bags of any kind can hang from the wheelchair
Goal of the workshop:
- To assess the communities interest in the creation of a competitive adaptive power soccer program at youth & adult levels
Click link to go to our "Contact Us" page under Adaptive Sports!