Tennis for all Abilities
On the 1st and 3rd Saturdays of every month, The Whole Person’s Adaptive Sports Program hosts a tennis session for all abilities from 11:00am-12:30pm at Northland Racquet Club. (arrive by 10:45am).
Youth (K-12) Wheelchair Tennis Series
Weekly beginning on Wednesday, April 18 - Wednesday, May 30 (no practice on May 9)
6:00 - 7:00 p.m. | Northland Racquet Club | 306 Tennis Ct., Kansas City, MO
$5.00 weekly participation fee (Cash/Check/Card payment due before play; scholarships are available to those who qualify)
If your child has a disability that prevents them from playing “regular” tennis, they can still enjoy all of the benefits the game of tennis provides with adaptations designed to meet their individual needs.
Tennis is truly a game for everyone. If they can swing a racquet, your child CAN play!
According to the United States Tennis Association (USTA), the goal of adaptive tennis is to promote and develop recreational tennis opportunities for individuals with differing abilities and circumstances through inclusion, knowledge, and support, and by providing, where needed, adaptive programming, equipment, and teaching techniques.
The objectives of the series are:
- To allow children with a variety of physical limitations and special needs to be introduced to and explore basic skills in a fun, recreational environment.
- To allow children with a variety of physical limitations to learn the fundamentals of the game of tennis.
Goals of the series:
- To improve hand/eye coordination, racquet skills, volleys and ground strokes.
- To prepare adaptive tennis players for competitive play.
To ensure a fun and safe event, children must be:
- Ages K-12 and able to actively participate in workshop*
- Seizure free for at least 2 months*
- Caregiver presence needed for assistance if participant is not physically independent*
- Having participants be able to push a manual wheelchair independently is preferred*
*NOTE: Parent/guardian will need to sign a waiver before child can play. Waiver will be available at venue